McGee Scholarship deadline: Feb. 28!
Columbia College Evening & Nationwide campuses
Jan. 30, 2014
The Colonel Charles E. McGee Scholarship is an annual scholarship granted by funds to Columbia College to help a qualified veteran student achieve his or her education goal. The Col. Charles McGee Scholarship recognizes the efforts of a veteran student who embodies the spirit and courage of Col. McGee as he/she served our country and now is pursuing a college education.
This scholarship was established in 2010 to honor Col. Charles McGee ’78 USAF (retired), who was a Tuskegee Airman, one of a select group of black World War II fighter pilots who shattered stereotypes. In his extraordinarily long career, he also commanded a fighter squadron in the Philippines, a reconnaissance squadron at now-defunct Richards-Gebaur Air Force Base just south of Kansas City, and holds the Air Force fighter combat record of 409 missions and 1151 combat hours. President Bush awarded the surviving Airmen the Congressional Gold Medal, the nation’s highest civilian award.
To be eligible, completed applications must be received by Feb. 28. Visit www.ccis.edu/mcgeescholarship to download the necessary application materials.
- Any new or returning undergraduate or graduate degree seeking student at Columbia College
- Must be a veteran student and/or a dependent of a veteran (no longer on serving and honorably discharged
- Applications must be completed by the student
- $1,000 award for the 2014-15 academic year
- Applications must be received no later than 5 p.m. CST, Feb. 28, 2014
- To be eligible for consideration, applications must include the following:
- A fully completed and signed application form
- Copy of DD214 (veteran copy)with honorable discharge status
- An essay of up to 500 words written by the student describing his or her personal circumstances and how education is, has, or is expected to make a difference in his/her life.
- Two references as outlined in Section III of the application
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed
- Mail completed application packet (application, DD214, essay and recommendations) to:
The COL (retired) Charles E. McGee Scholarship Committee
Ousley Veterans Center, MOH 224
1001 Rogers Street
Columbia, MO 65216
- All applicants will be notified of the selection committee’s decision by way of letter by April 18, 2014