Columbia College–Lake of the Ozarks staff Q&A with Sam Fleury

Fleury at the 2010 Cougar Club Golf Tournament with CC’s official mascot, Scooter.
As community and alumni relations coordinator, Sam Fleury's job is to tell the Lake campus' story to the community and keep alumni updated and involved. It is often a behind-the-scenes job. So, we're turning the tables and letting Sam tell his story. Read more about the Nebraska transplant who loves sports, his family and doing laundry (though not necessarily in that order!): 
Position: Community and Alumni Relations Coordinator
How long have you worked for Columbia College? I have been part of the great Lake campus,  Alumni and Public Relations teams of Columbia College for just over one year.

Hometown: Ponca, Neb. (two hours north of Omaha)

Alma Mater: University of Nebraska–Kearney; Class of 2000 BA in Sports Communications

Fleury and his wife of five years, Ann
What did you do before joining Columbia College? I graduated in 2000 from the University of Nebraska at Kearney with a bachelor’s degree in sports communications. I moved to Missouri immediately following graduation and worked as assistant media relations director for the University of Missouri athletics department. From 2005 to April 2010, I worked for JumpTV/NeuLion, a video, ticketing and online media solutions provider for athletic organizations.

Hobbies or interests: I enjoy spending time with my wife and kids as much as possible. I also love listening to music and playing/watching/talking about sports, especially football, golf, basketball and baseball. I like to work in the yard and do laundry ... don’t tell my wife!

Tell us about your family: My beautiful wife Ann (Columbia College alumna, Class of 2004) and I celebrated five years of marriage in May. We have two awesome children, Ava (3) and William (1).

Tell us about a life event that influenced you: I moved to Columbia after 22 years of living in Nebraska. I didn’t know anyone and didn’t have a place to live, but I had a job! Since then I have met my wife, started a family and have made friends that will last a lifetime. It was a big step to leave the place I grew up and the people I loved, but I am proud of where I am and what I am accomplishing.

If you could do anything in the world, what would that be? I hope to someday travel through Europe (particularly Norway and Sweden) and also visit Australia.
Favorite subject in college: American history, government and broadcasting.
Favorite book/author: I enjoy autobiographies very much. Some of my favorites include Bill O’Reilly, Tom Osborn and Rudy Giuliani. I also like John Grisham’s writing with my favorite being “Bleachers.”   

Tell us a fact about yourself few people know: I have traveled to China, am a pro at music trivia, and my middle name is Aspen.

What is playing in your car right now? ESPN Radio on XM, iPod mix, today’s best country, Clear 99.
What is your favorite food? Grilled, fried or baked chicken, bananas and ice cream

What is your favorite sports team? Sorry, I can’t stick to just one. Baseball - Yankees; NFL - Chicago Bears; College athletics – Columbia College Cougars, Missouri Tigers and Nebraska Cornhuskers.