Columbia College–Lake County faculty focus – Dr. Peter Sherman, math instructor

A new instructor will be teaching at Columbia College–Lake County this spring. If you are thinking about taking MATH 104, Beginning Algebra, at RTC take a few minutes to learn more about Dr. Peter Sherman:
1)      Where are you from?
I grew up in the city of Kiev, Ukraine, in the former Soviet Union. In 1979, my family and I immigrated to the U.S. and settled in Chicago.

2)      What degrees do you hold, and where did you earn them?
I studied mathematics at Voronezh State University in the city of Voronezh, Russia. There I earned my Master of Science in Computational Mathematics and a Ph.D. in Mathematics.

3)      Tell us about your teaching experience and work history.
I started teaching at Voronezh State University while I was working on my Ph.D. I taught Linear Algebra, Matrix Theory and Calculus to graduate students and Functional Analysis and Topology to post-graduates. Later, I got involved with applying optimization methods to business problems and took a position with a research and consulting company. In the U.S., I worked in the information technology and procurement fields, primarily in the financial industry — banks, insurance and consulting companies. During this time I continued to be interested in teaching, getting involved with in-house training and also teaching part-time computer programming and information technology courses at Kennedy-King College in Chicago. Since 2010, I spend most of my time teaching.

4)      What do you most enjoy about teaching?
I enjoy explaining complex ideas to people from diverse backgrounds and skill levels and seeing their eyes light up with understanding.

5)      What advice do you have for students taking your class this March?
Education is essential to every person’s success in life, and math is one of its most important components. Mathematics is a foundation of natural science, physics, engineering and computer science. Mastering math and math applications is vital for success in business, economics, chemistry, medicine, social sciences, psychology, biology and in everyday life.