Columbia College–Lake of the Ozarks staff Q&A with Lyle Sybert

Noted journalist, historian and novelist Henry Brooks Adams once said that, “A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.”
Sybert has served as an academic advisor for Columbia College since 2008 after 22 years at Mills Elementary in Osage Beach.  
During his 34 years of teaching and in education administration, Lyle Sybert has significantly and positively influenced thousands of Lake area students, faculty and staff. After serving as principal at Mills Elementary in Osage Beach for 22 years, the proud grandfather of four took up the post of academic advisor at Columbia College–Lake of the Ozarks in 2008, helping students plan the path to their degree. He and his wife Laurie, who has also served as a teacher in Osage Beach and a teacher at the Lake campus, are tremendous assets to the Lake community. Read more about the talented singer and John Grisham fan:
 Name: Lyle Sybert

Alma Mater, Date of Graduation: Truman State University-Kirksville, 1986 (Ed. Specialist)
Family members: Laurie Sybert, wife; daughters and husbands, Lainee and Barrett Norris (Tulsa), Lynsi and Nathan Garvin (Fort Worth), Larissa and John Cutsinger (Waynesville); and grandchildren, Caroline, Jack, Walker and Wyatt. They’re all awesome! Stop by the college anytime, and I’ll share pictures!
Years at Columbia College–Lake of the Ozarks: 4.
Hobbies: Music - Playing piano and humming a few tunes.   Reading, walking and traveling
Favorite Movie and/or TV Show: Glee. More so the music and choreography, such wonderful talent

Lake campus faculty members Lyle and Laurie Sybert, Joanie Hodapp, Gary Carrender and Paula Keeney celebrate the Lake campus’ 20th Anniversary.

Favorite kind of music/favorite artist/song:  Anything but bluegrass vocals and jazz improvisations
Favorite Book: John Grisham novels
Favorite Food: Battered fried shrimp and southern comfort food
Favorite subject in college: Voice classes and choral singing or directing
When I was 10 years old, I wanted to be a _____.  Math teacher, solving problems with numbers was always enlightening and challenging. I have enjoyed developing schedules throughout my educational career.
What is the best part about working at Columbia College–Lake of the Ozarks?  The wonderful staff, faculty, and students that you work with each day.  It’s great to see everyone doing their part to make the college experience a positive one.
What moment in your life are you the proudest of?  Choosing my lovely bride, my best friend! She constantly makes me smile and enjoy life.
Todd Rader, Lyle Sybert, Randy and Jenny Gum and Laurie Sybert at the Lake campus’ first Education Alumni Social.
Best excuse you have heard from a student who was late with their work?  “You mean I have to read the book?”
What piece of advice would you impart to a student prior to graduation? You’re not through learning and always be flexible and open to new ideas.  Keep yourself current.
Talk about your journey and what lead you to Columbia College–Lake of the Ozarks:  The parts I enjoyed most about being a building principal was working with the students and helping beginning teachers become successful instructors.  Columbia College gave me both of these.  There was an advisor opening at the Lake campus, I was able to retire from public schools and saw this as a perfect fit for me.  I could visit with students and assist education students who were becoming teachers.
Prior to being an adviser, I served as an elementary principal for 27 years, with 22 of those years at School of the Osage. Before administration, I taught vocal music grades K-12 and loved my job. The elementary students brought me joy each day with their energy, smiles and hugs. Junior high and high school students had more advanced skills, and it was great to be their coach and watch their vocal skills grow.
My parents had no idea that my experience on a small rural farm in northwest Missouri would be so invaluable to my future careers. When farming, you met each day as a challenge and had to be very creative with your resources, and you worked every minute of the day completing your chores or helping neighbors and friends around you!

Bobbi said...

Hi Lyle! Congrats on this position! Heather is always in contact with Larissa so I can keep current! You are so correct! I tell my students every day that they must keep learning, forever! There isn't a day that goes by, that I don't learn something cultural from students, parents and grandparents. They are my heart! Miss all of you! Bobbi Kinney, 8th Grade Reading and School Rep., Parker Unified School District, AZ