Columbia College–Lake of the Ozarks faculty Q&A with Brian Hill

Hill has served on the Lake campus faculty for three years.
Everyone has a certain profession or job they dream about doing when they grow up. Columbia College–Lake of the Ozarks English instructor Brian Hill is living his dream. He wanted to be a teacher since he was 10 years old and probably before that. He is a dedicated educator and engages his classes in entertaining and energetic discussions while also facilitating all proctored exams here on campus. The passionate Edgar Allen Poe fan enjoys traveling and cannot pick his favorite book as there are too many to mention. Read more on Hill:
 Name: Brian Hill
Alma Mater: B.S. Ed. English – Lincoln University and M.A. English – Fort Hays State University
Family:  Single
Hill enjoys all types of literature and has also worked on several dramatic projects including director of plays such as Grease and Arsenic and Old Lace

Years at Columbia College–Lake of the Ozarks: 3 years

Hobbies: Visiting authors’ homes/museums, reading, movies
Favorite Movie and/or TV Show: Hallmark movies, Diagnosis Murder (TV show), mystery and suspense shows/movies
Favorite kind of music/favorite artist/song: Christian (southern gospel) and oldies
Favorite Book: It’s too hard to choose a favorite.
Favorite Food: Chicken and barbeque
Favorite subject in college: English, of course!
When I was 10 years old, I wanted to be a __teacher_.
What is the best part about working at Columbia College–Lake of the Ozarks?
It is a friendly environment with people working well together for the common cause of higher education.
What moment in your life are you the proudest of?
There are several: teaching at Columbia College and the graduate degree earned to do so; directing various plays including Arsenic and Old Lace, Bye Bye Birdie and Grease; and finally seeing students who thought that they could not excel in English (or even hated English and reading) admit after my class that they learned a tremendous amount or were encouraged to become more avid readers, and it wasn’t so bad after all; it can be fun!
Best excuse you have heard from a student who was late with their work?
“I know the old saying about the dog eating homework, but my dog actually did chew on my vocab assignment, and I knew you wouldn’t want it after that, so I didn’t bring it to turn in.”
Hill is a passionate fan of writer Edgar Allen Poe and uses his writings in his classes frequently.
What piece of advice would you impart to a student prior to graduation?
Even when it seems that a goal will take forever to accomplish, or that it is even impossible to complete, keep pursuing your goal; it is worth it in the end.  After all, Edgar Allan Poe didn’t become the legend that he is today overnight.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Hill is one of the most dedicated instructors I have taken in my college courses. He is very understanding in everything a person presents to him. He's so diligent in making his classes entertaining, yet very prosperous for the students! I do agree that his classes have made a non-reader (I absolutely hated reading before) like myself to absolutely enjoy reading! I don't LOVE it per se, but I do enjoy a good read when found! Thank you Mr. Hill--You ROCK--Dude!!