Faculty Focus – Dr. Mona Gupta, biology instructor

A new instructor will be teaching at Columbia College–Lake County this summer. If you are thinking about taking Biology 108 Human Biology, take a few minutes to learn more about Dr. Mona Gupta:

1) Where are you from?
I am originally from New Delhi, India.

2) What degrees do you hold, and where did you earn them?

I obtained my Bachelor of Science in Zoology from the University of Delhi, India, my Master of Science in Environmental Health from East Tennessee State University in Johnson City, Tenn., and my doctorate in toxicology from Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas.

3) Tell us about your teaching experience and work history.

I have served as an adjunct faculty member at several universities and have taught a wide variety of courses in the biological and environmental sciences including environmental toxicology, anatomy and physiology, environmental health, biostatics and microbiology. These classes have been both online and traditional classroom courses and at both the undergraduate and graduate level.

In addition to my teaching experience I have also worked as a staff toxicologist. In this position I conducted health risk assessments of several classes of chemicals.

4) What do you most enjoy about teaching?
I enjoy interacting with students, sharing my passion for the subject with them and trying to stimulate their interest in the basic, as well as applied, nature of the subjects.

5) What advice do you have for students taking your class this August?
I believe learning is a constructive process. In order for learning to occur, it is crucial that students make connections. I would like my students to be able to relate new knowledge to what they already know, and apply this knowledge to the context of problems. In order to do this they will need to be active participants in their own education. If students can walk away from my class with the confidence that they will know how to seek answers, regardless of the question or the complexity of the problem, I think we will both have succeeded.