Staff spotlight – Peggy Berry, academic adviser

Most recently an employee of the Crystal Lake campus, Peggy Berry, joined the staff of Columbia College–Lake County in November. Since then she has been actively advising students by learning more about them and their educational and career goals. Now we are giving you the opportunity to learn more about our newest academic adviser:

1) Where are you from (original hometown)?
My original hometown is Fox River Grove, Ill. It was a small, quiet town at the time and still has an old castle that was built by a German man for his wife. When I was young we would play on the castle grounds. It was a pretty cool place for a kid.

2) Tell us about your work experience.
I have 20 years of experience in higher education in a variety of higher administration positions. My previous employers include Illinois State University, Carthage College and Northland College.

3) Where did you go to school, and what degrees have you earned?
I received my Bachelor of Science in Political Science with a concentration in public administration and a minor in sociology from Illinois State University. Currently, I am pursuing my master’s degree in higher education administration with certifications in nonprofit management and nonprofit governance with North Park University in Chicago. Upon completion in May 2010 I plan to enroll in a doctoral program.

4) What interests you about academic advising?
I have a sincere desire to assist students in achieving their academic goals. Advising plays a significant role in a student’s overall college experience, and I enjoy the challenge of counseling students.

5) What is your favorite thing about working for Columbia College?
Columbia College provides adult learners with a flexible and affordable education. I am confident in the exceptional quality of the school and proud to support it.

6) Tell us an interesting fact about yourself.
In addition to school, work, family and friends, I enjoy volunteering. I have served as an active volunteer and board member for several nonprofit organizations including the Women of the Moose International, the Humane Society and Habitat for Humanity.

If you would like to schedule an appointment to meet with Berry or any of our other advisers, please contact the business office at (847) 336-6333.