Hamilton Presents Health Economics Paper at Missouri Valley Economic Association

Tim Hamilton, a member of the business faculty of Columbia College–Kansas City, was accepted as a presenter at the 46th annual meeting of the Missouri Valley Economic Association in Kansas City.The meeting took place Oct. 22 to 24 at the Marriott Country Club Plaza. Hamilton’s paper, “The Creation of a New Healthcare Currency and National Health Bank to Achieve Pareto Efficiency in Healthcare Markets for the United States of America,” was one of eight presentations on the subject of health economics.

“Having my paper accepted by the MVEA was a great experience,” said Hamilton. “The chair of my panel was Dr. Mary Ellen Benedict from Bowling Green State University. Each paper is assigned a discussant. The discussant has the task of reading the paper and publicly providing comments. I was the discussant for Dr. Benedict’s paper and my discussant was Dr. Attila Cseh from Valdosta State University.”

“After the discussant makes comments,” Hamilton continued, “the forum is opened up to the audience for questions and comments. This was the best part of my experience. A few economists had questions, and there was much discussion about the theory of a medical currency. Surprisingly, there was no disapproval that the calculations, methods or formulas I used were incorrect. This corroborated for me that the underlying mathematics does properly demonstrate that a new medical currency would reverse the trend of rising health care costs.”

Hamilton added, “If anyone wants to download a free copy of that paper, they can do so at www.professortimmy.org.”

The Missouri Valley Economic Association was established in 1963.The objective of the association is to encourage the development of economics as a theoretical as well as an applied discipline.

Tim Hamilton is currently teaching MGMT 368, Business Ethics, at the Kansas City campus.