Faculty Focus – Kimberly Wooten, Communications Instructor

A new instructor will be teaching at Columbia College–Lake County this fall. If you are thinking about taking COMM 110 Introduction to Speech in the August Session, take a few minutes to learn more about Kimberly Wooten:

1)Where are you from (original hometown)?
I am originally from Waukegan. In high school I moved to Kenosha, and currently live in Ingleside with my husband.

2)Tell us about your family.
I come from a small (but loud) family. My mom is a CNA and my dad is a retired electrician. I also have an older sister who has three boys. I have been married for three years to my husband, Dave, who is attending school to become a communications instructor as well.

3)What degrees do you hold, and where did you earn them?
I have a bachelor’s degree in communication from the University of Wisconsin–Parkside, and a master’s degree in mass communication from the University of Wisconsin–Whitewater.

4)Tell us about your teaching experience and work history.
I began teaching at the College of Lake County in January, 2008, and at the University of Wisconsin–Parkside in September, 2008. Currently, I teach classes in speech, interpersonal communication, children in the media (a class about how media can potentially affect children) and communication theory. Adding in the speech courses I will teach at Columbia College this fall, I will be teaching at three different schools!

5)What do you most enjoy about your field?
I am most interested in media effects/mass communication. The affect media can potentially have on people is very interesting. I hope to conduct more research in this area as I pursue my Ph.D. next fall (2010).

6)Tell us an interesting fact about yourself.
I come from a family of teachers. My sister and three of my cousins (all on the same side of the family) are all teachers.

7)What advice do you have for students taking your class this August?
I am a “big stickler” on attendance, grammar, spell-checking assignments and late work. Attendance is mandatory. I do not accept late work and assignments must be spell-checked and proof-read. Other than that, I am pretty laid back and welcome class discussion.