Why should you be a student?

Dori Cantrell
Dori Cantrell is the academic advisor for upperclassmen at Columbia College–Kansas City. She is also pursuing her MBA at Columbia College.

I know that a lot of people reading this article are current students at Columbia College–Kansas City. Have your friends ever told you that you’re crazy to be working full time and going to school? I know a few people have commented to me that I’m nuts trying to do both, but am I really nuts? I don’t think so. My best friend gives me the most encouragement; she says that she is proud of me and it takes a lot of “guts” to work full time and go to school at night to get my bachelor’s degree. She knows, like you and I know, that it does take “guts” to decide to re-enter the academic world especially if you are in the over 50 age bracket like me.

When you return to school, there are some things that you have to give up in order to study and get good grades. Yes, I gave up some precious time with my family. However, compared to the benefits that you and I will get when we graduate, I think that all of our families will agree that the time has been well spent. It hasn’t been easy, but it has been rewarding. A lot of the younger students are in school because mom and dad have told you that you need to get a college education. I think the people who have returned to school after several years have an advantage. We are here because we want to be here. We’ve seen first hand how someone with a degree gets the better job and better pay.

For those of you who are not currently enrolled in school, why not? The Columbia College–Kansas City campus is growing and we have room for you! I’ve heard all the excuses: “I don’t have time;” “I’ve got the kids to take care of;” “I don’t remember how to study.” You name the excuse; I bet I’ve heard it. However, someone once told me that you are never too old to learn, and to keep our minds active we should strive to learn about different subjects. That sounds like a school situation to me, how about you? As for the excuses, I have to tell you that there are several students who work full time, have families, and are taking classes full time in order to enrich their lives and that of their children. What a great example for the children! We are the “show-me” state, so let’s show our children that education is valuable and attainable. Give us a call at (816) 795-1515 and we’ll help you get back into school so that you can obtain your degree.