Faculty Spotlight: Jeff Barrows, mathematics instructor

How long have you taught for Columbia College?

I started teaching the algebra sequences at Patrick AFB in 2003 and last year began teaching decision science for business for the online MBA program.

What is your Alma Mater? What degrees do you have?

Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, University of North Carolina–Fayetteville (1990); Master’s degree in applied math, North Carolina State University (1994)

Where are you from (original hometown)?

Hampden, Maine. Since many folks aren’t familiar with the extreme northeast, I normally tell people I grew up four hours north of Boston!

Tell us about your family?

I have been married 22 years to my wife Michele and we have three kids: Denver (12th grade); Kayleigh (10th grade); and Ramsey (kindergarten).

What are your hobbies/interests?

I like being at home with my family and we like to vacation when our schedules allow. As a kid, I was very involved in team sports which are tough to commit to at this time in my life so I have replaced team sports with lots of exercise and some golf and tennis.

Tell us an interesting fact about yourself.

I got my start as an instructor teaching math at the Air Force Academy while on active duty. I enjoyed it so much, I have been teaching as an adjunct for a variety of colleges since 1998.

What advice do you have for today’s students?

Regardless of your background or circumstances, consider the time you spend in the classroom as an investment in yourself. There’s no greater investment than education and Columbia College considers it a privilege to serve you!